7 Undeniable Baobab Health Benefits (You Won’t Believe #5)
Africa’s baobab tree (Adansonia digitata) has become increasingly popular for its high nutritional content and impressive health benefits. For this reason, the baobab fruit is referred to as the superfruit of Africa’s tree of life.
The leaves, seeds, and fruit pulp of baobab trees contain a variety of vitamins, minerals, and flavonoids, which can strengthen your immune system and protect your overall health. As a low calorie fruit rich in fiber and fatty acids, baobab can also help you manage your weight and maintain healthy skin.
Baobab powder is produced from the white, powdery pulp of baobab tree, which is rich in calcium, vitamin C, iron, potassium, and magnesium. You can reap the health benefits of baobab powder by adding it to your fruit juices, food bars, porridge, yogurt, and smoothies.
What Is the Nutritional Value of Baobab Powder?
Baobab powder is highly nutritious and can help you meet your daily requirement or adequate intake for several important nutrients.
The table below shows the nutritional profile of baobab powder based on USDA data :
|Nutrients||Amount per 100g|
|Vitamin C||173 mg|
|Niacin (B3)||20 mg|
|Vitamin B6||2.41 mg|
|Dietary Fibre||44.5 g|
The vitamin C content of baobab powder and other baobab food products is 7–10 times higher than that found in oranges.
USDA also states that baobab powder is maltose and lactose free, and is, therefore, suitable for those who are lactose intolerant.
Now let’s explore the unique health benefits of baobab fruit and baobab powder.
Health Benefit 1 — Baobab Powder Supports Digestive Health
According to the USDA, baobab powder contains 44.5 g of fiber per 100 g serving, which is over 50% of the daily recommended fiber intake.
The table below shows the recommended dietary fiber based on age and sex:
|1–3||19 g||19 g|
|4–8||25 g||25 g|
|9–13||26 g||31 g|
|14–18||26 g||38 g|
|19–50||25 g||38 g|
|50+||21 g||30 g|
|Breastfeeding mothers||–||29 g|
|Pregnant women||–||28 g|
Due to its high fiber content, baobab powder can improve your intestinal and digestive health. In fact, consuming baobab powder regularly can alleviate digestive symptoms such as:
Eating fruits rich in soluble fiber such as baobab can reduce diarrhea symptoms. Soluble fiber works by absorbing the excess fluids in your digestive tract and promoting regularity.
In case of severe diarrhea, consult a healthcare professional—soluble fiber is not effective for addressing diarrhea symptoms caused by bacteria or parasites.
Constipation and Hemorrhoids
Insoluble fibers found in baobab can keep your bowel movements regular, which can reduce constipation and straining that can cause hemorrhoids. Since your body cannot absorb insoluble fiber, it adds bulk to your stool, allowing it to pass through your gut more quickly and clean your intestines.
Baobab fruit powder also contains flavonoids, which, according to a study published in the British Journal of Surgery, can treat hemorrhoids.
If you have chronic constipation and hemorrhoids, the dietary fiber in baobab powder may not be adequate—consult a healthcare professional before taking it.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
The high fiber content of baobab fruit powder can also improve your gut microbiome. Fiber acts as a prebiotic by passing through your colon undigested, where it becomes food for the good bacteria in your gut.
The polyphenol-rich baobab extract can also enhance your gut health. Dietary polyphenols act like prebiotics by promoting the growth of good bacteria in your gut.
Expert tip: You can add baobab fruit powder to your fruit juices, smoothie, or yogurt to improve digestion.
Health Benefit 2 — Baobab Tree Powder Enhances Heart Health
The fiber and vitamin C in baobab are a nutrient pairing that can reduce oxidative damage, which can lower your risk of coronary heart disease. Dietary fiber enhances your heart health by:
Baobab is also a rich source of potassium, which has been shown to protect against heart disease. Potassium is good for your heart because it:
Health Benefit 3 — Potassium in Baobab Powder Can Control Blood Pressure
Potassium in baobab powder is capable of controlling your blood pressure. Potassium reduces the effects of sodium—eating more potassium allows you to lose more sodium through urine. Potassium can also relax your blood vessels, which can further lower your blood pressure.
Adults with blood pressure above 120/80 and who are otherwise healthy are advised to increase potassium through diet.
Health Benefit 4 — Vitamin C in Baobab Fruit Pulp Can Optimize Immune Function
Vitamin C can enhance your immune system by stimulating the activity of your white blood cells. Vitamin C aids white blood cells in making antibodies and destroying harmful cells. Vitamin C can also boost your immune system during flu and cold season.
Other baobab-related nutrients known to strengthen the immune system are:
- Selenium: It protects your cells from oxidative damage caused by pathogens and infections—selenium enhances immunity by reducing inflammation.
- Zinc: Promotes healing of wounds and cell reproduction, which enhances the development of new immune cells.
- Protein: Supports your immune system by promoting healing and recovery—builds antibodies and immune system cells
Health Benefit 5 — Baobab Fruit Can Aid Weight Loss
The baobab fruit is the newest weight-loss secret. Below are some ways baobab fruit nutrients that can help you lose weight faster:
- Polyphenols: Baobab fruit is rich in natural polyphenols, which contain anti-obesity properties. Polyphenols increase satiety.
- Fiber: Baobab’s high fiber content can keep you full longer, and prevent you from overeating. It promotes overall fat loss by suppressing appetite.
- Magnesium: Consuming adequate dietary magnesium can decrease insulin resistance and promote weight loss.
- B Vitamins: Baobab is rich in several B vitamins, including folate, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B6. These B vitamins can help you reduce weight by increasing your metabolism.
Polyphenols and fiber ensure that you eat less overall, which makes losing weight much easier.
If you are trying to lose weight, you can add fresh baobab fruit or powdered baobab to your smoothies, fruit juices, salads, desserts, yogurt, or post-workout snacks.
Baobab fruit extract contains anti-diabetic properties. The naturally occurring polyphenols in baobab fruit extract can help you control your blood sugar levels. They work by reducing starch digestion, reducing the glycemic response, and increasing satiety.
The fiber-rich baobab fruit extract can prevent spikes in blood sugar by slowing the absorption of sugar from food and slowing digestion.
Other nutrients that prevent diabetes are:
- Magnesium: A lack of magnesium leads to insulin resistance. Therefore, the dietary magnesium in baobab trees can lead to improved insulin sensitivity and reduce your risk of developing diabetes.
- Protein: Slows digestion and post-meal spikes in blood sugar. It also Increases fullness.
- Potassium: increasing dietary potassium can enhance your insulin sensitivity.
- Potassium deficiency is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes because you’ll produce less insulin and have high blood sugar levels.
Health Benefit 7 — Baobab Seed Oil Can Enhance Skin Health
Baobab seeds are also used to make baobab oil, which is high in vitamin C, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids. Fatty acids like linoleic, oleic, and palmitic acid have anti-inflammatory properties, which make them excellent for the skin. They also feed your skin with healthy oils.
Here’s how adding baobab oil to your skincare regimen can benefit your skin:
- Clear skin: Baobab oil has polyphenols, which can improve acne and reduce dark spots.
- Soft skin: The palmitic acid in baobab seed oil can soften your skin and help it retain moisture.
- UV protection: The antioxidant activity of vitamin C can minimize the effects of sun damage by protecting your skin against UV light.
- Youthful skin: Vitamin C promotes collagen production, which can keep your skin firm and wrinkle-free.
- Moist and plump skin: Linoleic acid can keep your skin moist and plump without weighing it down.
How to Add Baobab to Your Diet
From flavor to flavonoids, you can never go wrong with baobab. Using baobab products regularly can have immense benefits for your body, which include:
- A healthy immune system
- Enhanced gut health and digestive health
- Low risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and inflammation
- Glowing, clear, and youthful skin
- Easier weight management
- Reduced hunger and increased feelings of fullness
- Healthy bones
You can get baobab food products in most health food stores and online in the form of fruit juices, powder, and plant-based food bars.
However, if you’re looking for undeniable benefits we recommend you try The Human Food Bar. Our protein bar comes with amazing health-boosting benefits, including better digestion, increased microbial diversity, and excellent weight loss properties.
The bar has a great taste and texture with just the right amount of fiber (10g), making it perfect to eat everyday.
Share on Facebook: