11 Best Prebiotic Foods Dr. Gundry Recommends (Recipes Inside!)
Everything You Need to Know About Dr. Gundry’s #1 Superfood
It’s no secret our bodies need fiber to function properly.
But most people don’t end up getting enough through the normal foods they eat on a daily basis. And if you’re following the Plant Paradox diet and avoiding harmful lectins, your list of high-fiber foods is even smaller.
Going further, understanding the different types of fiber isn’t always easy. Which types are prebiotic? Are there any types of fiber I should avoid? How can I easily add more of the right types of fiber to my diet?
If you’re not sure how to answer those questions, you’re in the right place.
Today, we’re going to cover the main types of fiber, where you can find them, how much you’re supposed to eat every day, the best lectin-free prebiotic superfoods, and what popular prebiotic foods to avoid on Dr. Gundry’s diet.
And the best part? I link to Plant Paradox recipes rich in each of the 11 prebiotic fiber-rich foods we’ll discuss so you’ll never run out of creative ways to add them to your diet.
Let’s get started!
Probiotic vs Prebiotic — What’s the Difference?
To understand the role of prebiotics in your diet and overall gut health, it’s important to know the difference between probiotics and prebiotics. They sound similar, but they’re not one in the same.
Probiotics are living microorganisms that may survive the journey to your large intestine, and if they do will continue to act as good bacteria in your gut. Furthermore, consuming probiotics(in food or supplements) promotes the growth of naturally occurring healthy bacteria (1).
Prebiotics, on the other hand, are a fibrous material and help probiotics grow and thrive (2). But as humans, our bodies don’t break them down or absorb them.
They actually travel throughout your entire digestive tract until they meet up with healthy bacteria (aka probiotics) that can break them down in order to absorb them and their nutrients.
So, the two work hand in hand to create a healthy and balanced bacterial environment within your body. Which… is why it’s essential to give your body enough of both.
Understanding the Different Types of Dietary Fiber
Now that you know what prebiotics are, let’s talk about the different types of fiber and which ones contain the prebiotics your body relies on for a healthy and balanced digestive system, gut, and overall microbiome.
This type of dietary fiber dissolves in water and is digested by the bacteria and microorganisms living in your colon (probiotic bacteria) (3). Soluble fiber is prebiotic and an important part of a healthy diet because it helps:
- Normalize the digestive process, slowing it down if needed
- Block the digestion and absorption of fat in your body
- Feed and support friendly bacteria living in your body
- Stabilize and balance your blood sugar
- Prevent your body from digesting cholesterol
- Make you feel full and satisfied after a meal
Insoluble Fiber (Non-Prebiotic)
Insoluble fiber doesn’t dissolve in water. So, it passes through your body unchanged (4). While that may sound bad, it actually plays a large role in the overall wellbeing of your digestive system.
Although insoluble fiber isn’t prebiotic, it still plays a large role in maintaining a healthy gut and digestive system. Going further, it helps:
- Speed up the digestion process
- Prevent constipation
- Promote regular bowel movements
- Lower your risk of hemorrhoids and cancer
- You feel full and satisfied after a meal
Resistant starches are a third type of fiber that behaves like both soluble and insoluble fiber (5). They’re not easily digested so they stay intact through the small intestine until they reach the large intestine.
From there, they’re digested as a prebiotic helping your “gut buddies” thrive. Resistant starches are known for:
- Lowering your daily caloric intake by keeping you fuller… longer
- Reducing the amount of fat your body stores
- Boosting your metabolism
- Promoting healthy gut bacteria
How Much Fiber Should You Eat On a Daily Basis?
Superfoods contain high levels of essential nutrients, antioxidants, and polyphenols making them some of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. According to Dr. Gundry, they help you feel better, look better, and avoid (or reverse) adverse diseases.
And he considers prebiotic fiber to be his #1 superfood.
With that being said, it’s important to take extra steps to ensure you’re giving your body the things it needs to thrive. Plus, in doing so you’ll feel better and reduce your risk of harmful diseases.
The recommended daily intake of fiber for adults is 14 grams per 1000 calories you eat (6). About 25% of your fiber intake should be soluble (or prebiotic).
But, Dr. Gundry notes that daily dosages of 15 grams or more may cause an upset stomach or diarrhea until your body adjusts. So, it’s important to increase your intake slowly and observe how your body reacts.
The Best Prebiotic Foods (+ Tasty, Lectin-Free Recipes!)
Now you know everything you need to know (and then some) about prebiotics and their role in overall digestive and gut health. So, now it’s time to dive into the good stuff.
Most high-fiber foods contain some combination of the different types of fiber. And it’s important to get a healthy balance of both. So, in this section, we’ll walk through:
- Each of the best prebiotic foods (all lectin-free)
- What types of fiber (and how much) each one contains
- Plus healthy (and tasty) lectin-free recipes so you can easily add each one to your diet
Let’s get to it!
Each tablespoon of flaxseeds contains 3 grams of fiber. 20%-40% of this is soluble and the other 60%-80% is insoluble. So, this is a great source of both prebiotic fiber and insoluble fiber.
These cinnamon flaxseed muffins are an excellent (and delicious) way to add more flaxseed to your diet.
One serving of okra contains 3 grams of fiber. Okra’s split about 50/50 in terms of soluble and insoluble fibers. So, while it contains the same amount of fiber as flaxseed, okra contains more prebiotic fibers.
Consider cooking up these baked okra chips for your next healthy snack!
One cup of broccoli has about 2.5 grams of fiber, along with numerous essential minerals. Over half of broccoli’s fiber is soluble, making it an excellent source of prebiotic fiber.
Although broccoli is known for being the “gross” food nobody wants to eat, this roasted broccoli recipe is delicious, lectin-free, and high in fiber (thanks to the broccoli and onions!).
Half a cup of artichoke hearts contains a whopping 7 grams of dietary fiber. Furthermore, a whole artichoke has just over 10 grams of fiber.
Although artichokes are richer in insoluble fiber, they’re also a great source of prebiotic fiber (thanks to inulin – another type of prebiotic fiber). These baked “fried” artichoke hearts are an easy and delicious way to add them to your diet.
One serving of garlic (around one cup) has around 3 grams of dietary fiber. Around 20% of garlic’s fiber is soluble, but the wide variety of uses makes it an excellent way to add prebiotic fiber to your diet.
One of my favorite lectin-free garlic recipes is this root vegetable lasagna.
One medium onion has about 2 grams of fiber. Furthermore, around 20% of that fiber is prebiotic thanks to high levels of inulin and another type of prebiotic fiber called fructooligosaccharides (FOS).
This celery soup recipe is one of many easy ways to “sneak” more onions into your diet.
One cup of sliced avocado contains a whopping 10 grams of dietary fiber. It’s also important to note avocados are high in monounsaturated fat. While that sounds alarming, it’s actually considered a healthy type of fat when consumed in appropriate amounts.
Around 40% of the fiber in avocados is soluble (prebiotic) while the remaining 60% is insoluble.
If you’re anything like me, raw avocados are delicious on their own. But, this mint chocolate chip avocado ice cream is another delicious way to add more avocado to your diet.
Who knew, but just one tablespoon of cocoa powder contains around 2 grams of fiber! About 20% of cocoa powder’s fiber is soluble with the other 80% being insoluble. But, the many incredible and delicious uses makes it an easy way to add more prebiotic fiber to your diet.
This flourless chocolate-almond butter cake is a tasty and healthy way to add more cocoa powder to your daily routine.
9. Green Bananas
One green banana has between 2.5 to 3 grams of fiber. This is due to the high levels of pectin and resistant starch that’s apparent before the banana ripens. About 20% of that fiber is prebiotic in nature, which is what gives green bananas their many health benefits.
It’s important to note that as bananas ripen, the resistant starch turns into sugar. So, eating green bananas is an easy way to avoid sugar and get more fiber.
This delicious plant paradox smoothie is a great way to get more green bananas and add more prebiotic fiber to your diet. You can also turn to our own Human Food Bar, which contains a full serving of green banana flour (and it’s delicious!).
One cup of blueberries contains nearly 4 grams of fiber. Around 85% – 90% of that fiber is insoluble but they’re still an easy way to get more prebiotic (soluble) fiber on a daily basis. And they’re low in calories, so you’ll feel full without getting a lot of unhealthy carbohydrates in the process.
Dr. Gundry’s blueberry pancakes make an excellent and tasty lectin-free breakfast (or breakfast for dinner – my favorite!).
11. Sweet Potatoes
One cooked sweet potato has between 7.5 grams and 8 grams of fiber. Around 20% – 25% of this fiber is soluble (prebiotic). So, sweet potatoes are a great way to get the right ratio of soluble to insoluble fiber.
Plus, they’re delicious! This veggie curry and sweet potato noodle recipe is a fresh take on sweet potatoes and noodles.
The Best Prebiotic Foods to AVOID (According to Dr. Gundry)
With eleven lectin-free superfood options rich in prebiotic fiber, you have a LOT to choose from. But, not all prebiotic superfoods are lectin-free.
In fact, many of the most popular choices aren’t on Dr. Gundry’s approved food list. So, it’s important to know which prebiotic foods to avoid.
These lectin-filled foods include:
- Whole wheat
- Beans, lentils, and legumes
What About Prebiotic Fiber Supplements?
Prebiotic fiber supplements are an easy and science-backed way to add more prebiotics to your diet. They help boost your microbial diversity while making you feel better on a daily basis.
While we covered a lot of different prebiotic foods, they don’t always fit in everyone’s daily routine. So, if you struggle to get enough prebiotics on a regular basis, supplementation is a great option.
And there’s no such thing as too much prebiotic fiber (hunter-gatherers, who have literally zero digestive disease eat more than 3x what Westerners do). So, whether you struggle to increase your prebiotic intake or are looking for an easy way to add even more, Dr. Gundry’s PrebioThrive is the way to go.
I believe it’s the best prebiotic supplements on the market, for the simple reason that it combines the top 5 prebiotic fibers you find in popular supplements into a single formula. That’s important, because the more types of fiber you consume, the greater your microbial diversity will be.
Read my Gundry MD Prebiothrive review for a deep dive. Or if you’re already ready to start shopping, buy it on the Wellness Ambassadors website to save up to 40% or more. Avoid Amazon and the main Gundry MD site unless you enjoy paying full retail.
Start Eating Your Way to a Healthy Gut, Today!
As you’ve seen, there are countless ways to add prebiotic fiber to your diet so you can diversify and maintain a healthy microbiome full of the best “gut buddies” around. Your gut will thank you and you’ll feel better on a daily basis.
Check out the full list of Dr. Gundry-approved Plant Paradox recipes for EVEN more ways to add the best prebiotic foods and other essential nutrients to your diet, today.
What lectin-free foods are the best prebiotics?
There are countless high-fiber foods out there. But the best lectin-free prebiotic superfoods include things like flaxseed, okra, garlic, sweet potatoes, and avocados.
What is a natural prebiotic?
Prebiotics naturally occur in plant-based foods like sweet potatoes, avocados, blueberries, and artichokes. They work with the probiotics living in your gut to promote the growth of healthy bacteria.
What’s the difference between probiotic vs prebiotic?
Probiotics are living organisms living inside your digestive tract. Prebiotics are fibrous plant-based materials that help probiotics live longer and thrive.
Are there any prebiotic foods to avoid on the Plant Paradox diet?
Yes. Many of the most popular prebiotic superfoods contain harmful lectins. So, if you’re on the plant paradox diet, it’s important to avoid foods like apples, potatoes, whole grains, barley, legumes, and peas.
Why are prebiotics important?
Prebiotics work with probiotics in your body to promote and maintain the growth of healthy bacteria in your gut. A healthy gut leads to improved digestion, regular bowel movements, and increased overall health and general wellbeing.
What’s the best prebiotic supplement?
Gundry MD Prebiothrive is the best prebiotic supplement on the market. It combines several of the prebiotic superfoods on this list into a single powerful (and delicious) formula aimed at helping you increase your daily intake of prebiotic fiber.
1. “Prebiotics, probiotics and your health” – The Mayo Clinic. 21 May 2019.
2. “What You Need to Know About Prebiotics” – Colombia Surgery. 9 February 2017.
3. “Soluble vs. Insoluble Fiber: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia” – Medline Plus. 21 June 2018.
4. “Dietary fiber: Essential for a healthy diet” – The Mayo Clinic. 16 November 2018.
5. “Research: High Fiber Diet Helps Ward Off Health Troubles” – Cleveland Clinic. 25 April 2019.
6. “Improving Your Health With Fiber” – Cleveland Clinic. 15 April 2019.